Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Blasted Titles Again ...

Thinking back to July, I remember sitting on my fluffy, brown couch drinking coffee that came from my new Keurig machine and sweating about what this blog would be called. I'd write something -- "Insatiable," "Ms. Kimmerling's Blog," "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog" (a la Arrested Development) -- and immediately anticipate the judgment of such blog titles.

Titles are tricky. They reveal so much and so little at the same time. "Waiting for the Rain" is a book about South Africa during apartheid. Here comes another confession: I've never read it. However, the conflict of the book speaks to me -- no, not the part where one is fighting for civil rights and is continually suppressed by the man. I'm intrigued by the conflict of things changing and things staying the same. 

Since high school I have had the dream of living in New York City. For me, New York represents everything good in the world. Culture, concerts, fashion, writers, art, influence, etc. -- all crammed into five boroughs. That dream took a slight detour as I fell into a rabbit hole of sorts.

I digress. 

However, while that is still my dream, and I'm determined to do it while I am young, I'm ok with how my life is going right now. I miss my kids and school from last year immensely. I miss my friends in Lincoln and working to the bone my first year of teaching. But I also like the students at BHS. You are all so respectful -- maybe it's the age (I taught 8th grade last year). You care about how you do and appear engaged in class. 

I like talking about journalism all day and having the freedom to experiment with the curriculum. I like that I can wake up at 7:00 and be at school at 7:30 -- I really, really like sleep. I like how hilarious my PLC is (if you guys think your teachers are not funny, you just haven't seen them in their prime). 

So the question that is ever present in my mind: Do I really want change?


***Your first blogging assignment is to create and design your own blog -- complete with a meaningful titile.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment